Monday, October 1, 2012

Let the training begin...

My original plan was to pick a training plan two weekends ago, but lame me got sick :(. Choosing a training program was not exactly on my mind while I was throwing up/stuck in the bathroom... so I finally got around to it this past Tuesday.

I wanted to combine a few programs and then I thought, "why reinvent the wheel?". I have heard Hal Higdon's programs are great and it looked a lot like what I had in mind, so that's what I chose! I will be following his "Half Marathon Training Guide- Novice 1 Program" (link to it here).

The program suggests that before starting you should be able to run 3 miles at least 3-4 times a week. I thought I could, but wasn't sure so I used last week to test it before committing to start the program this week. Here's how it went:

Wednesday 9/26/12- 3.11 miles in 39:26. Fastest mile (mile 1)- 11’56”, average mile- 12’40”.

I was super impressed Mike and I went on this run since I didn’t get home until almost 9PM, but we did it! Yay motivation.

Friday 9/28/12- 3.11 miles in 38:40. Fastest mile (mile 1)- 11’22”, average mile- 12’24”.

Monica and I ran the first mile and then did some walking/running intervals. (Side note, Monica if you read this- the hill we avoided, I included it in Sunday’s run- NOT FUN, we made a good choice!)

Sunday 9/30/12- 3.12 miles in 36:04 (walked 2.41-2.52). Fastest mile (mile 2)- 10’55”, average mile- 11’33”.

This run was hard for two reasons 1. I ate so much crappy for you (but delicious) food this weekend and drank too much sugary alcohol deliciousness and 2. We got caught in the rain. The main difficulty was the first thing (all the crap in my body), but getting caught in the rain was a little though because it did that drizzle on and off, I don’t know if it is going to down pour now or in 20 minutes thing for most of it… then it came down the last 5ish minutes or so.

Nike+ claims my fastest 5K was 34’14”… but I can’t find it, so I’m not sure that actually happened. Haha, so I am going to state that this week I achieved two milestones:
1.      Wednesday was the first time I ran a 5K and actually ran the whole way (no walking) Yay!
2.      Sunday was my fastest 5K I can remember/identify! Double Yay!

If anyone is interested in conquering this training plan with me, let me know! I will be happy to send you motivating messages (even if you don’t do this plan, but need motivating message, let me know)!

I am exciting to officially start this program today… we’ll see how I feel after week one!

No comments:

Post a Comment